Friday, August 28, 2009

Too Clogged to Blog

I’ve been sick, under the weather, not my usual self. Any of these apply. But to sum it up, I’ve been too clogged to blog.

My doctor blamed my grandchildren for my condition. In his medical opinion, those two adorable kids came back from Disney World and all I got was this nasty virus. Granted, they did have bouts of strep throat while away and returned with a cough and fever he diagnosed as croup, but I have no doubt I got this virus from my computer.

Computer viruses are different from people virus and never the twain shall meet; or so the good doctor claims. Eons ago they made the same claim about birds and swine. We know how that turned out.

What my medical expert doesn’t realize is that my computer and I are extremely close. I spend more waking hours with it than any other person or devise in my life. I’ve even named it Wordsworth. Words for short. They say that after living together for years, married people begin to act alike, talk alike and even look alike. Well, Words and I experience a similar phenomenon. I download a Spanish file into Wordsworth by mistake and mysteriously he’s no longer backed up. I eat tacos; the same goes for me.

So you see, it’s not only possible that Wordsworth gave me this affliction; it’s the most logical explanation. How did he become infected, you ask? I’ve done my own medical investigation by carefully backtracking his whereabouts for the past two weeks. Approximately ten days ago, I received a new friend request from facebook. Ever eager to increase my number of friends, I accepted her quickly. Too quickly. Had I examined this photo more closely, I would have noticed the crumpled tissue in her hand. Wordsworth’s immune system was undoubtedly compromised by this encounter.

Two days later I received a tweet about the upcoming flu season. Come to think of it, has anyone researched the link between bird flu and twitter? To calm my fears, I went to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) website. I should have known better. People looking for disease control are probably diseased. Duh. Typing away at their germ-infested keyboards. And who knows where their hands have been.

By the way, if you’re looking for reading material the gang at the CDC suggest Morbidity and Mortality. When you finish that one , try Prevention of Chronic Diseases. Personally I'll wait for the Dummies edition.

A word of caution to you bloggees. I’m new to this blog thing and am not certain that this is the correct term and mean no offense by it. I assume if I’m the blogger, anyone reading would be the bloggee. Please feel free to correct me. Back to the CDC…

Do not, I repeat, do not (even though it’s quite tempting)
DO NOT CLICK ON Emerging Infectious Diseases.

I did. Within seconds Wordsworth became sluggish. He could barely open a file. He was out of sorts. Ten days later, that’s exactly how I feel now. Coincidence? I think not.

With lots of rest for us both and plenty of fluids, for me, not Wordsworth, we’re both getting stronger by the day. I’m down to a half box of tissues per day and Wordsworth is no longer creating pointless Power Point presentations. Soon we will be back to our normal selves. I plan to keep us that way. I make Wordsworth stop at the Lysol website before and after going online and I’m wearing rubber gloves.

1 comment:

  1. Love the name Wordsworth! I named my guardian angel but not my computer. I think I'll give that some thought...

    Very cute entry.

    ReplyDelete